Thursday, August 7, 2008

Betrayal


Figure: 25th Anniversary Snake-Eyes and Timber(2007)
Action Figure Correographer: The Jaguar
Title: Betrayal
Correographer's Statement: Several years ago, one of my coworkers ate my lunch. He claims it was an accident, since we both had frozen burritos. But how could this be? Does he think me daft?! His was cheese and bean, while mine was chicken and cheese! His was in a lime green wrapper, while mine was plainly forest green! It was a sharp, clear, metaphorical knife in my back. After all, I was the one who replenished his stapler when it was empty, I was the one who lent him my white-out when he was in a bind, I was the one who kept his secret when our boss asked if he was really sick. Yet, at the most crucial moment of our day - lunchtime - he chose his belly over our friendship. Betrayal, how bitter is your sting!

It is from this well of pain that I draw the emotional undergirding of this pose. Watch helplessly as Timber, O Innocent Wolf, is betrayed by the ninja he trusts most in the world! I cannot ponder this work for too long a time, for it touches that spot in my heart already made weak by Old Yeller and John Steinbeck's Of Mice And Men. I fear I would melt into a puddle of disconsolate tears.

Please note: This pose expresses a deeply personal emotional reality for me. In no way is it meant to be read as an indictment of the moral character of ninjas. I mean, my best friend is a ninja! So Ninja Anti-Defamation League, save your e-mails! Or, I swear by the Matrix of Leadership, they'll go straight into my Spam Folder!